TOP TEN THINGS TO DO WHEN YOU GET A FORECLOSURE NOTICE:
1. Keep the foreclosure notice!
2. Get all the papers with your mortgage, payments letters, everything, and put it in a file or envelope.
3. Write to the address in the notice requesting a modification. Keep a copy of the letter. (Do this even if you have been rejected before.)
4. Write a letter to the mortgage company requesting the payoff amount, in writing, and send a RESPA letter (See sample at www.stopcreditor.com/) to the mortgage company..
(Do this for each mortgage on the property)
5. Get an idea what your house is really worth, to sell, right now, as is, without painting or any fixing up. Any other homes for sale in your area? Call the number on the for sale sign, and find out the asking price.
6. Get your last two years’ tax returns.
7. Get all the pay stubs and pay/unemployment/pension/other income records for the current year.
8. Make a list of all creditors, car loans, leases, credit cards, medical bills, credit unions, student loans, back taxes, everyone you owe, or who claims you owe them, money. Include the monthly payment on each bill.
9. Write up an accurate monthly budget, with the income you reasonably expect going forward, and your future expected living expenses.
(this does not count the credit card and other monthly bills that are NOT costs of living. For example, future utility bills are living expenses, VISA payments are not.)
10. Contact attorney Kurt O’Keefe with any questions, at firstname.lastname@example.org,
or 586-819-0736 Macomb County office, 313-962-4630 Wayne County office.
FOR YOUR FREE COPY OF THE CONSUMER’S GUIDE TO DEFENDING FORECLOSURE,
Top Ten List Of Things To Do When You Get A Foreclosure Notice